Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Arrest of an American Citizen Abroad


If you are arrested in Croatia, ask the authorities to notify the U.S. Consul. The Consul cannot get you out of jail - you are in a foreign country and subject to its laws. But, the Consul will work to protect your legitimate interests and ensure that you do not suffer discrimination because of your U.S. citizenship. The Consul will visit you, check on your physical welfare, provide you with a list of local attorneys, and, if you wish, contact your family and friends.

For more general information on arrests, click here.

Adobe Reader

  • Download Free
    Download Free

    All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format.  To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.  You may download a free version by clicking the link above.